Stay at home moms

What does your DH or SO do for a living? Are you comfortable financially or are you on a tight budget? Do you have savings and retirement, etc?

I moved to a new town and mostly all the moms are SAHM's and I work. And so I wonder are most sacrificing or does their DH just make a bunch of money. I could stay home but we'd be so tight that Burger King would be a treat, we definitlely wouldn't be able to go on vacations, eat out, save for emergencies, save for retirement, and we'd probably have credit-card debt. I just wonder how people live with the one income.

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 12:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• He's a computer hardware engineer and he would make a comfortable living if his boss was actually paying him. He's behind in pay.
    Anonymous

• My husband works for a construction company. He makes (at the moment) 29 an hour, with 150 a week in food allowance. He brings home 1045.13 a week. So ya.. we are totally comfortable! lol When this big job is done he will move down in pay again and bring home about 800 a week. Still living comfortable however.
    Jaydansmommy

Answer by Jaydansmommy at 12:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My dh is a veterans represenative he helps people get money for disibility, pensions and stuff like that. He also recieves about 1,200 a month for his military disability. I stay at home since my baby is almost 1. It helps that my exhusband pays his child support of 1,222.00 a month. We are comfortable but we have a very affordable mortgage we have 2 personal vehicles that are paid for and only one credit card. He also gets a state car and a gas card so he rarley drives his truck.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He's a lineman/troubleshooter for the power company. We live quite comfortably, we don't saccrifice anything and we can afford to go on vactions. We thank God everyday for his job and the security it brings. Yes we have a retirement fund and savings as well. I am studiying to be a Medical Transcriptionist so we can have more fun money kicking around. We have the normal ammount of debt for a family of four (six in the next couple of years) that own our home, a rental property and three vehicles.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My husband's is a Senior Systems Analyst/Consultant for a large corporation. We are comfortable.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my dh is an electrician & we're comfy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• im living somewhere outside the states and my husband is a bum he works once a month and even though my job is easy its barley enough and i have to work all day i ahte it but oh well its very hard!
    Anonymous

• i just posted and i reapeat its hard for us they have burger king subway dominos and those are defintitly treats !!!
    Anonymous

• my hubby is a machanic at good year working on simis. we are ok we are a little behind right now to where we are a little tight but that is bc when i was pregnant with baby number 2 he lost his job so we are trying to get caugght up, once we are caught up we will be fine. My kids don't ever go with out though. He has a retirement plan, but we don't have savings. I can't work because all my money would go to daycare so what is the point? Also I have no family that will watch my girls so I could work so that is why I stay at home
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He works for a chemical company. We are comfortable, but we also live within our means. We live in a mobile home that's too small for us (but paid for), don't eat out much, take vacations, or have a savings account. We don't have a plasma TV or Ipods or all the little "extras" that most people have on their cell phones. We have one credit card which is strictly for emergency purposes only... and we stick to that 90% of the time & pay it off quickly.

Our only bills are utilities, groceries, & car payments.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009