Why do you let your child have a binky?

I have never understood the whole binky thing. I personally think they are just yucky. I have seen kids drop them and then put them right back in their mouth.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter had a latching problem at birth, and my LC recommended trying one to encourage her to go with her sucking reflex. We were never able to breastfeed, so it was kind of a lose/lose situation.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I let my son have a binky. It's kinda comforting to him. IF he happens to drop it then I clean it and give him a new one.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It's a comfort thing. Some babies like 'em, some don't.

I had 2 that used them & 2 that didn't.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I didn't want my kids to have one, but my mother-in-law gave my oldest one at 5 months. She said it was to "give me a break." Some kids enjoy sucking on things and you can't give them a bottle all the time. It turns into a security thing eventually and can be really difficult to take away.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• they keep the kid from screaming some times when nothing else works.
    Anonymous

• cuz after the hospital told us how NOT to give them one after a certain amount of weeks. they gave her one after day 1 1/2 which totally pissed me off, but now it's kinda cute. it seems to help with her motor skills-she knows where it goes & how to put it in. sometimes she shares it with me and sticks it in my mouth *which of course i wash before giving it back* but unfortunately that binky is the ONLY binky she will ever have. i bought the same ones as back ups, and she can tell the difference!!!

now that she's learning to throw, i bought a different one that came with a short paci-keeper leash thingy for before when get on a plane (ear popping). but she hates it.. DAMN those Soothies!!!

Every baby is different though, mine'll be fine without it. we could lose it for days and she'd be all right. She doesn't need it to go to sleep or be calm. But she definitely knows which one is hers.

over all quick fix for calmness.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I don't, pacifiers are just mommy replacements.
    I think if my daughter needs comfort she should get it from me, not a piece rubber.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 1:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My oldest son had one because he was a preemie and he needed to get the sucking down. But it was very easy to break him of his habit. Now my second, we gave it to him mainly because it helps with sids. Sids is more common when children are born closer together and my boys are only 13 months apart. So it was also partly for my comfort.
    Anonymous

• Binkies arent a bad thing, i think it can get outta control when you see a 3 or 4 yr old walking around with one. They are a way for some babies to comfort themselves. Every child is different, my mom personaly hates binkies and when me and my sister were small we had a blankie, it was the dirties thing, that we would carry around, i guess we liked to smell it and when my mom would wash it, we would get SO mad, disgusting i know! But i dont think its a mommy replacement its just a way of comfort!
    Anonymous

• Pacifiers are supposed to help reduce SIDs (I haven't researched this, but I did hear it from my pediatrician who I consider to be a pretty reliable source). Babies have a natural need to suck on something, and sometimes they want to do it even when they do not need to eat. It's comforting to some babies. You can take away a paci, but you can't take away a thumb. With my twins, one of them just seemed to really need it. We only use them at night now, and I intend to be rid of them completely by the time they turn 2.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009