My 15 year old son is making me nuts!!!!!!!

He has done very little work this year in English, and won't bring his homework home. I don't think I need to go through the backpack of a 15 year old, like I did when he was 5. Anyway,so he takes the TAKS test, finishes in less than 90 minutes, sits for the rest of the class to finish, and out of 48 questions, the little toot got 46 RIGHT! I don't know whether to hug his neck or kick his rear end! LOL. How can I get him to apply himself more? It's obvious he's smart,and has alot of potential. I don't want him to think he can fly by the seat of his pants in High School next year. Do you think he'll mature some over the summer?

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• maybe if you make him get a job and apply himself. my brother was kinda that way. good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Maybe he is just not being challenged enough? Do you think maybe he is too smart for the classes he is in and that's why he is not doing his homework...because he already understands everything? Maybe you should consider having him put into Honors classes?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He might not be challeged enough, so he's board with it, My dad's freinds son was that way they put him is a higher class.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He's bored. You are not going to get him to work harder unless he is challenged.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i was that way to that i was getting bored with the clsasses so i ended up dropping out but Im going back in the next year or 2
    Anonymous

• The above posters could be right but he could also be distracted....What is he doing while at home? Too much tv/internet? What are his friends like? I know for a fact that friends can influence the way kids act! Is he getting enough sleep?
    Could be the way the teacher is teaching also....Kids learn at different paces and levels. Some kids can get straight As just from reading a book while others get straight As just from hands on learning....know what I mean?
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 2:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I went thru the same thing with my teen. I had him tested and at 13 his tested at a junior level in high school, he is in 8th grade. Let me tell ya, it sucks for the kid to have to correct the teachers in Math, mine has done this and the teacher was livid. Talk to the schooll they should be able to do something.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have had him tested for the AP classes. We also tested him for Dyslexia when he was in Pre-k. It showed his IQ at 141. So, yeah, I know some of it's boredom, but he doesn't qualify for the AP classes, cause he won't do his work well enough to keep his grades up. He has to be disciplined to be in AP classes,and right now,he's just not. I'm sure some of it is distractions. He skateboards,and is very passionate about it,and I have to admit, I'm not tough enough on him about it. I need to reign him in some on it,and make him apply himself more. Up until last summer, I wasn't physically able to do much with him,but I had surgery last year,and am better, but I'm still getting my bearings,and being able to do things again. He really is a good kid,just not focused. I really do appreciate all your input. It means alot to me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• He's bored.

My son is the same (younger). He finishes everything in half the time and then just gets in trouble the other half of the time. I gave my son a Sudoku book.. it relaxes him. Go figure.. Just the thought of one of those grids makes me nauseous.

Find him a very mind stimulating hobby or book, robotics or science or experiments or something.

Kids, TV, Internet, distractions, may also be a big role as well.

Christine
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• have a conference with your son and his teacher. He could just be board in class. If he finishes the test fast in the future the teacher should have him do something productive than just sitting. Keep communication with all teachers e-mail my daughters teachers to see how she is doing. This is how I know if my daughter is doing her homework.  I take privileges away when she misses homework this taking the phone and computer work best for me

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009