• In the Spotlight:

dialated at 37/38 weeks or closed?

In my past two doctors visits my cervix is completely closed. i dont get practice contractions...i dont think....i get strong menstrual cramps usually at night but when i wake up they are gone so i dont know if thats what they are.
is this normal to not be dialated at all? i thought of this question after i left the doctors office..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ya it is normal i know with my first i wasnt dialated or nothing til 40 weeks then 4 days later i had him .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The strong menstrual cramps you are feeling are contractions. It's very normal not to be dilated, I was only half a cm dilated when i was 38weeks. I went over a week and I was induced LOL.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• A lot of women dilate throughout the third trimester, a lot of women don't start dilating at all until they are in active labor. Both are completely normal. Don't stress.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am 39 weeks and having contractions every 2-5 mins and I am dialated 1 cm. But with my last I didn't dialate or feel contractions at all my water just broke, so it may be different for you but yes it is normal...When you get your contractions trust me you will know! they are strong and they last a while. Good luck with new baby!
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yeah my 38 week appt I was a fingertip....I'm almost 40 weeks and just 2 cm's so its different for every woman.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm 39 weeks and as of my last week's appointment I'm not dilated at all. I've just recently started to get a lot of BH contractions in the past two weeks or so, but obviously they're not doing anything. And I was at 1 cm for the last 3 weeks with my son, and I've known people to stay at 3 cm for weeks before having their babies. And on the flip side, I've heard of people not being dilated at all at their appointment and then having their baby that night or the next day. So it really doesn't mean anything one way or the other.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• 11000% normal. In my sister's case she was completely closed and had no cervical changes at 39 weeks, she went into labor and had my second niece on her due date. You can literally be 1cm dilated at 7 in the morning, and be holding a baby by 7 at night. At the same time, you can be 4cm dilated for weeks without anything happening.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 6:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009