is it normal to feel my heart racing by just sitting down? i feel my heartbeat pounding in my head and then i get short of breath!

i know the shortness of breath is normal, but heart beating like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yepp I'm 22 weeks and it happens to me all the time. My heart will race when I'm hardly doing anything! I have no idea why but if its happening to me and you both...its bound to happen to more ppl.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It sounds like a panic attack to me. You can't catch your breath and you can't get your heart rate to slow down, and it lasts like 5 minutes long, right? My doctor said it was fine (for me) and not to worry about it since it didn't happen too often. Just try to take deep breaths and remain calm while letting it run its course.

If it happens pretty regularly though, I would ask your doctor about it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• a panic attack out of nothing? can that happen?
    Anonymous

• Yes it can. It would happen to me while I was just lying in bed trying to go to sleep.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• What kind of foods are you eating? You eat alot of salty of high cholesterol foods?..Do you have alot of stress right now? It could be your blood pressure raises and that's why you feel your head pounding. You should explain to the docter what happens to you and I'm sure they will be able to tell you. It happens to me too but right after I eat something salty or fattening or when I am stressed from work or the bf lol. And sometimes if I eat sugar it does it to me too but It's nothing to worry about just lay down or sit back and take deep breath's. Gl
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I did this when I was pregnant. Sometimes it would happen when i was walking up the steps or just going from sitting to standing or standing to sitting. I mentioned it to my doc and he said that sometimes its related to having low iron levels. He did some blood work at that appt.. Sure enough my iron was low. After he put me on extra iron, it stopped happening. Definitely mention it to your OB next time you are there.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• well im taking my prenatals and iron pills i was prescribed, i just had some quesadillas for breakfast could that be it?
    Anonymous

• I would guess iron too, maybe you need a higher dose...get another level done at your next appt.
    susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Your heart is pushing almost twice as much blood now as it did before you were pregnant. It could be a panic attack but I doubt it and it would be better to try introducing extra iron naturally than to supplement. Some of those iron pills can seriously constipate ya lol. I don't know how far along you are but it sounds like early pregnancy (before 25 weeks). Your body is taking in extra oxygen which can cause you to be light headed or dizzy and it will feel like you can't catch your breath. Your lungs are now able to expand more than pre-pregnancy so you need to inhale more to fill them. If you are past 25 weeks and these things continue then I would worry about some of the other possibilities. For now though, everything sounds very normal.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 5:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009