• In the Spotlight:

4 month shots

my daughter had her 4 month shots yesterday and today she has a temp of 100.8 under arm. I just gave her some Tylenol. Is that normal? She's never had a fever with previous shots. Thanks!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you add a degree? 100.8 isn't that high. normal range for an infant is up to 100.4 Just give some tylenol and wait it out. If it doesn't go down at all or goes up, call the doc. If you are really concerned, take it rectally as it's most accruate. If it's still high after about an hour, then call the doc.
    Anonymous

• Yeah its pretty normal to get a slight fever with shots within a 48 hour time period, although it usually happens sooner rather than later. No worries, and if the fever is continuing tomorrow, give her doctor a call.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Probably a reaction to the shot, even if she's never had problems before. Call the doctor.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 1:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• no I didn't add a degree so it's really 101.8
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Totally normal, just watch it. I wouldn't worry unless it gets higher or doesn't go away. You could always call your pediatrician if you're worried.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• axillary temps (under the arm) may be a degree or two rectal temps. . If your child's temperature is above 102 degrees, it's recommended that you take it again rectally (for a child 3 years or younger) for a more accurate reading. If your initial temp. was a rectal temp, then you don't need to do anything.

And remember that a fever is babies friend up until 103 degrees. Fever is helping the body learn to defend itself - consistently keeping the fever down if it is not in a dangerous zone actually hurts the babies immune system. (that information is from my daughters pediatrician)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009