In need of some serious help with my 15month old. (hitting)

As of recently my son has started hitting. I'm sure it's normal for little boys, but I CAN'T STAND IT. He'll hit me and laugh and it honestly hurts sometimes. I try to distract and redirect him but it hasn't slowed him down. I do not believe in physical diciplin what do I do?

Ezras_mommy

Asked by Ezras_mommy at 1:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son at 17 months started hitting himself out of frustration - which i can ignore since its not me, but you may want to look into time outs- you don't think they'd understand at this age but my son will sit there and cry and i will have to re-put him in the same spot a few times but when he realizes I am going to win - he just sits there -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I agree you should use the timeout method. You need to start it the very next time he hits...anyone. You need to do it everytime and make a timeout space that is used everytime.

Discipline is about conditioning a response to a behavior. if you are consistent and steadfast, your child will soon learn that his hitting behavior has consequences he does not like. Ensure you use simple words repeatedly to help him understand the 'crime'. Hold the hand he usses to hit while you speak to reinforce what you are saying and make sure you discipline him immediately following the event so that he clearly relates the punishment to the behavior.

He'll learn. And you'll be glad you nipped this in the bud quickly. Let it go and you are in for more difficult times ahead.
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 1:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009