If the cashier gives you back to much change (like less then 2 dollars) do you give it back or keep it?

If i am at the register ill give it back but if have left the store i keep it

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• same as you but ussually i wont get that chance because since im so dumb at counting i feel embarrased counting so i dont do it until im home
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 1:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• less than two dollars I give it back, Im sure someone else needs that 2 dollars more than me.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 1:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I count before leaving the register...so i give it back.
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 1:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If I notice, I definitely would give back the extra change. I usually only count the paper money though to make sure it is right, I just throw my change in my wallet without counting it...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It depends on where I am... Most places around here don't make a big deal over a few dollars so if I don't notice there I would just keep it. But one of the stores here in town that requires their money draws to be with in 5 cents of the computed total. I have a friend that had $5 to much in her drawer and lost her Best Buy job... So, I always try to give it back, a few bucks won't hurt the company but it could hurt the cashier.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If I notice the mistake I give it back. Most grocery stores and i'm sure others have "accountability" and if your drawer is over or under by $5 or more you get a warning, sometimes you have to have accouting count your drawer for a week or so, or you can get fired. Everyone makes mistakes and I'd hate to think a cashier lost her job because I was greedy over a couple of bucks!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I count the money immediately so I would give it back. I would never keep any amount of money that was not mine. I would feel like a thief.

Anonymous

• One Word...YES.
    It's not yours.
    What goes around comes around, just my belief.
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If i notice I would give it back. I rarely if ever use cash though.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Oh I would never keep money that doesnt belong to me, but there are times that I just take the change, throw it in the purse and move on. I don't usually count it unless I am expecting more than 5 bucks back. Then I might watch a little closer. If I notice it, even later, I would return it. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night knowing that I had taken money that wasnt mine. No way.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009