HighScope Preschool Curriculum??!

I really want to take my daughter out of the current daycare/preschool that she is in and put her into a regular Preschool, but I can't figure out how to work around those hours! I work a reg 8-5 job, and the Preschool is 12-:2:30. I don't know how anyone does it. I'm a single mom, and I can't find anyone who could help me watch her or pick her up. The place she is at now has recently adopted the "HighScope" curriculum, and I feel like she isn't learning anything there now. Like for instance, this week she is learning about Circus Performers. Apparently, with the new curriculum, the teachers "let the children decide what they would like to learn about." What??! What about the important, basic things, that prepare them for Kindergarten? Does anyone else feel this way?

http://www.highscope.org

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have taught in preschool special education classrooms with children having various disabilities and also children typically developing for 20 YEARS! We have a similar curriculum in our county called Creative Curriculum. The children ARE allowed to choose the Theme or Topic of study, but while learning about the Circus and pretending to be in a Circus, the children are learning the BASIC PREACADEMIC SKILLS needed for Kindergarten readiness. They might have a circus parade of colors and each child chooses a scarf to wear in the parade. They have to identify the color of the scarf. They might have toy animals in the block area and build cages for them, sorting the type of animals into the same cages. The skills are EMBEDDED into the theme and activities. So don't feel that you have to move her because of the curriculum. NOW, if the staff does not use the curriculum correctly, then you might have a concern.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Early introduction of academics does not lead to later success in school. The important "basic" things they need to learn to prepare them for kindergarten are usually learned through play and exploration. Research shows that play based preschool programs, like High Scope, have better long term outcomes for the kids than academic based programs. Check out this recent article: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-serious-need-for-play

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• look for a day care that offers and is qualified as a pre school. my mother in law has run a day care for 36 years and she has a preschool program there also. hope this was helpful
    baby11109

Answer by baby11109 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I agree that if you don't want her doing that curriculum, find a daycare that has a preschool program. You have to put her in a program you like, and of which you approve.

Not all programs are for all kids or parents. I know my oldest would not do well in a Montessori program for instance.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The preschool she was at USED to be a regular program. Now they have adopted that HighScope one. The preschool I want her to go to has openings, but it is only 12-2:30 school, and I don't know how I would make that work with my job. I feel stuck.
    Anonymous

• And the one that she is going to now IS a daycare/preschool. It just so happens that it is the only one like that available to me.
    Anonymous