Is this a stupid spelling assignment?

My son came home with the spelling assignment of writing all of his spelling words backwards. Not backward alphbetical order, but literally backwards. I find this assignment completly ridiculous as I don't see any way that it could aid in learning how to spell these words. I actually think it would be more confusing than anything. His class has a student teacher so I was thinking of asking the teacher about it. Do you think this is a stupid assignment, would you say something to the teacher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OK, Are you saying the word is backwards like (cat = tac)? or the letters are backwards?
    I'm a teacher and I would NEVER do this! I have never heard of this helping a child. I'm thinking of all those phonics lessons and how in the heck are they supposed to learn a blend such as the /ck/ sound if they are spelling it /kc/???? Nope, I'm interested to hear the outcome on this one also.
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 2:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No, this is a good way for the kids to learn how to spell. You could ask the teacher why she teaches spelling words this way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• That does sound like it would be confusing. But maybe she has a logical reason for doing this. I think you should ask her to find out
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would ask the reason for the assignment, yes. I would not lead with the fact that you think it's stupid though (I agree with you, I just don't think the teacher will!)
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Writing the word the wrong way is a good way to learn how to spell it the right way?
    Anonymous

• I have to agree with you anon. I don't really see how writing it backwards is going to help them learn it the correct way. I think it would be just be confusing. I can do the alphabet backwards easily, BUT not until after I had mastered it normally.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think this is a rather lame assignment too. But I agree, you shouldn't go in there saying this is the most stupid assignment. Just ask how this teaches kids to spell. I've never heard of this before.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I could see why this would be beneficial in that that they are literally learning all the letter combinations for words. Maybe tomorrow there will be a followup lesson that makes this make more sense.... yeah, call the teacher... no harm in asking.

Huh, my computer thought I spelled combinations wrong.... it's want's an apostrophe between the n and s..... stupid computers.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I agree with you. All it teaches them to do is spell backwards, not the correct way. I'd say something to the teacher.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• OP - I left a message for the regular teacher to call (they're in a meeting right now) so when she calls back I'm just gonna say I wanted to verify that it wasn't backward alphabetical order and if it in fact isn't then if she could please explain the assignment. They've never done this before so that's why I think it's the student teacher's doing. Maybe the teacher doesn't even know about it....I gues we'll see.
    Anonymous