Anal Gland Draining

My scottie has active anal glands and needs to get them drained manually. She just had them drained by the vet about a week ago and is already scooting on the floor again. My husband watched the vet do it and thought he would be able to do it at home. He tried and he can't. What do I do? I don't want to have to bring her to the vet every week to get them drained, plus it costs $10! And I feel like they shouldn't need draining every week. I never had a issue the first few years with her, it has been just the past few months. Help!

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Look on youtube. They have some video to show you how. It looks easy. Get some rubber gloves.
    Anonymous

• ewww, I feel sorry for you!
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't have to have it done weekley, maybe they didn't get all of it out. Also some dogs will scoot their behind even if there's nothing in the gland.
    Anonymous

• PetCo does it for $6, if that helps.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• makes me gag...I have 2 dogs and I hope I never have to do that. But I'm tempted to watch the video.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009