I don't get it!

I've read so many posts from women who have such difficult times with their husbands/SO.I cannot understand how they got into these situations,nor why they decide to stay.Can someone explain to me why these otherwise smart women choose these lifestyles?Why would you choose a life that makes you so miserable?why would you put up with these men's antics?

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• For some women, any man is better than having no man. So they will tolerate anything just so they won't have to be alone.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Rationalization, compromise and conditional situations. Then there is Catch-22. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. There are many reasons, and each person has their own, even if it makes no sense to anyone else.

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Maybe thats not how there relationships started out and maybe they just want advice so they can work things out. I don't know myself though why women stay with a man who has cheated on them.
    Anonymous

• a lot of women tend to be attracted to what their fathers were like. it's not that abnormal for an extremely intelligent woman to fall for "the bad guy" because their father or other male figure that they admired growing up was one. Even if they think they hate that fatherly figure, it usually stems from something like that. other instances could be the never ending lack of self-esteem. I have trouble understanding the not leaving part. It's a vicious trend sadly...
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• How long have you been with your man? If it is less than 7 yrs you really wouldn't understand anyway.
    Anonymous

• I think it's easier said than done. Many of these women have very low self esteem and they feel that the next relationship they have will be the same.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I've been married-very happily by the way-for 10 years,and I do understand.I've been in relationships that turned ugly,and I was out the door!To imply that there could ever be a rational reason to stay just because the relationship has been going on for a certain amount of years is ridiculous!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• There are lots of reasons and all of them are personal choices each woman makes. I stayed in a bad marriage too long because I believed in the vows I made. It was incredibly hard to cast the vows aside even though I knew I had to. Don't judge.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 10:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009