ADD/ADHD?

At what age can you get your child "tested" for ADD/ADHD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• most doctors say they usually wait until they are in school because the teacher will usually tell you if there could be a problem. but my doctor said that if i was truly concerned he could send him to another doc. to have him tested so just ask your doc.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Usually school age because the behavior needs to be consistent in all settings, not just at the home or just in public.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I don't recommend it until atleast 1st grade. Most docs won't do it until they have been in school. They need to see patterns in more than 1 setting. You can also ask the doc to test him. My sons doc waited until 4th grade because he doesn't like to medicated kids until they are older. When he did the test and talked to the teachers he knew with 100% certainty that my son had ADHD.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009