Is it okay to Fly with a high risk pregnancy?

My husband and I are trying to plan our vacation. I am not pregnant yet, but hope to be soon. We are planning on taking our vacation at the end of May. I called my doctor to see if it was okay to fly and he said to fly at my own risk. When ever I fly, I have a lot of anxiety. I usually take Benadryl to relax me. What are your thoughts? Should we plan our vacation locally or is it safe to fly?

JenaElliott

Asked by JenaElliott at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• i am not an expert an RN or doctor however I am a CNA and I honestly woooould absolutely NOT! fly at your own risk. This is your son/daughters life in hands. and anxiety and stress on the baby depending on ur circumstances can hurt the baby, also dependying on how far the baby is. what if you are pregnant maybe only 2 wks by then? def. dont want to have a miscarriage. and if u are only a small amount of anxiety could lead to a miscarriage. just be careful hun. good luck with the baby! :)
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• High risk? Absolutely not. I would put off the pregnancy. Also, in the first trimester of a regular pregnancy you don't know how you would feel. I would vacation in the beginning of a second trimester, with a normal pregnancy.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. If you do get pregnant before then you might be having morning sickness by that time. I took an 8 hour flight when I was a couple of months pregnant with my first and I was one of the lucky ones that got morning sickness every 20 minutes for 4 months. It was a horrible experience. There were times when I couldn't get up and gop to the bathroom and I actually had to use those bags they give you. You might get lucky and skip the morning sickness, but you can't know that in advance. You might consider waiting until the vacation to start trying to get pregnant - that way you'd be safe and have fun!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No. Why chance it? Ask your doctor if it's really urgent. You really don't want to travel outside your home area and risk having an issue and being stuck somewhere w/o appropriate medical care. If you do decide you absolutely have to travel, be sure to carry your entire medical file with you, look up docs and specialists in the area you are going, and check out the local hospitals just in case.
    Totally didn't read everything and realized you're not pregnant yet and you're talking about vacation. Check into local get-aways. You'll be more comfortable b/c your close, you don't have to travel long, and if you forget something no stress!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 9:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Wait this for this May or next May? why should you hold off on making plans. Plus talk the ob. but I thought you could travel atleast in your 1st and 2nd trimester, the thing is typically your first your sick and uncomfortable have pee and all that fun stuff. and your second trimester i hear you feel really good. I would check with the ob i guess.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2009