• In the Spotlight:

brushing a newborns m0uth?

Do you ladies do this? .... my daughter is a week old and has what looks like milk on the back of her tongue.... what can i do to get it off?.... its not thrush.... i looked up thrush and it looks nothing like it.... but what can i do to brush her gums and stuff?.... warm wash cloth?....

-First time mom-

kwiseman19

Asked by kwiseman19 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes a wash cloth, or they do have infant size tooth brushes i never used one though. i always just used a wash cloth to wipe her mouth out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i had a really soft brush that fit over my finger with my son. I used that. I wouldn't worry so much about the back of her tongue as much as wiping off her gums.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• is the milk in the back of her tongue normal?
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I use a warm washcloth. Dd is now 9 months and when she sees my hand heading toward her mouth, she opens it. She knows the routine. I wipe her tongue and her gums, and this is great because when her teeth do come in, she will be completely used to me cleaning them.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• if you look at the back of your tongue, there is probably color there of some sort. yes, it is normal. you don't have to start brushing their teeth until they have them come in. you can "brush their gums" to get them used to something in their mouth, but it isn't necessary. if your baby seems irritated by ber mouth, ask the pediatrician. but it should be fine!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009