My daughter is turning 2. Is it safe to give her a pillow to sleep on in her crib? What kind is best if so?

Pillows in the crib for a 2 year old?

siouxsiesioux

Asked by siouxsiesioux at 2:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why sure! I gave my boys pillows LONG before that.....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 2:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my daughter is 22 months old and she sleeps with a pillow in bed, we use a firm pillow so that her hed doesnt sink down into it, but she also sleeps in my room next to my bed, so yeah........but my theory is the firmer the better cause i think with a soft one there would be more of a chance of suffocation, but my little girl does fine. shes been sleeping with a pillow for a few months now.
    Anonymous

• It's alright. My son has had a pillow since he was born. He won't sleep with out 1.
    kgrc

Answer by kgrc at 3:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• She doesn't physically need one yet but it's safe to give her one.

30 years ago, they told us to not use feather pillows since it can increase allergy problems. But new research is finding that kids who use feather pillows have FEWER allergy problems and, if they have asthma, less severe attacks. Now, I'm seeing recommendations to use feather pillows. Go figure! Like everything, time and knowledge changes what is recommend.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Both my children have used one since b4 they were 1....it works great
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 4:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• we used one with our youngest from birth but only during the day when we could watch her.she started using one in her crib at night when she was old enough to turn over and lift her head well enough that suffocation wasnt such a worry.now she has to have a pillow to sleep even though most of the time her feet are on it instead of her head lol..
    Sephy333

Answer by Sephy333 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I didn't give one to my DD till she was almost 3. I waited for her to decide she wanted one. She was in a toddler bed at the time. I just don't see the point of using a pillow if they don't physically need one. It's also my understanding that it can be detrimental to their posture to use a pillow too early.
    mommie_rose

Answer by mommie_rose at 10:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2009