Does anyone have a good chicken gumbo recipe?

I would love to get a good chicken gumbo recipe to try. I dont like shrimp and I cant find one that dont have shrimp in it.

deneejude

Asked by deneejude at 2:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The roux is simple. Equal parts oil and flour over medium heat for about 30-35 minutes. Stir constantly. When it has the apperance of a peanut butter color, add diced onions, bell peppers, garlic and celery. Sautee for about 5 minutes. Add one spoonful at a time to chicken stock, stirring well. Let that cook over medium heat for 1 hour. Add a few dashes of worchesher, cayenne, salt, pepper and gumbo file'. Add cooked chicken and continue to cook for 1.5 hours. Season to taste and serve it with rice. (I also add andouille sausage to my chicken gumbo)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• where do you live? i dont know how to make a roux so i have to get the store bought kind but you can't find it in the north (really not past NC)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I live in Kentucky
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 2:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Also, I do not recommend the roux in a jar. It's just a personally preference and I think my grandma would probably roll over in her grave if I used it. :-)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2009