Is this a lot for one child?

$630 per month in child support? What is typical?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• It varies state to state. Mostly it's 17% of the parents income. So if say your ex husband makes $500 a week that would be $85 a month!

Count your blessings. My ex-husband is still in school and lives off of student loans and a very very part time job. Because of this he is only obligated to pay $25 a MONTH in Child Support. Big whoop....I just bank it in a savings account for my son!

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Ugh I mean $85 a week not month.....grrrr
    Mom2Jack04

• It varies state to state and on the parents income. I get 1,220 a month for 4 kids.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• There isn't a typical rate, it's based on parent's income. That is sure a heck of a lot more than I get for my one kid, but his dad doesn't have a high paying job and I do.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes.. it's alot.. There's no way that he should have to pay that unless he has an amazing job. My husband brings home 700 every two weeks, and pays 420 a month in child support plus pays all medical bills.. It's bullshit if you ask me, especially considering she has another child and he pays 1100 dollars a month plus all her medical bills.. and she lives at home with her mom and works part time at walmart, because she doesn't have to work full time, because she makes more in child support than she would actually working a decent job.. !! URGH
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I get 3749 a month in child support and only have one child. My ex makes well over 250k a year. I bring home 1800 a month. The 3749 allows us to have a nice roof over our heads and afford the things his dads new children get. He hates paying it but I pay 240 a month for insurance and 1000 a month for childcare. My ex gives me half his bonus check each year. He was not ordered to pay that his new wife felt he should so we can take a vacation once a year just my son and I. When I finish my Master's my pay at my job will triple my ex plans on paying the same amount he always has. I lucked out and have an ex who really loves his kid and is married to a very nice person who also loves his child.

Anonymous

• He hates paying it

Actually he doesn't hate paying it. He would pay more if I let him.lol
    Anonymous

• I only get $111 and thats ONLY because Kentucky based it on his SSI checks every month! Now that he gets soccial security and has gotten a raise, KY wont do anything so $111 is what I get! Oh yeah, must I mention, the man is BEHIND 5 yrs!
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 5:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My ex is ordered to pay $790 a month but he never bothers....
    Anonymous

• yeah that is a pretty good size my x makes alot of money but i only get 107
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009