how to get my boys to sleep on their own?

i have two boys one who is about to turn 3 and the other two and i have to either rock them to sleep or lay down with them till they are asleep. is there a easy way to get them to lay down and go to sleep on their own. the crying kills me my husband tells me to be strong but its hard

sweetbabyboy

Asked by sweetbabyboy at 2:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to start a bedtime routine that signals it's time to sleep. We do a story every night and that seems to work pretty well. Be very consistent and try to remain upbeat when you leave them. Since they are already in a bad habit it may take some time, and you probably will have to endure some crying; if you keep going in and rescuing it's just going to drag on longer.. If they don't share a room you might try working on one at a time; strt with which ever one you think will be easier. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Call me a bad mom but we put a tv in our kiddos room and it only plays vcr or dvd, no real tv, so we get to pick what he watches. Anyways he has a fave movie he watches everynight in order to go to sleep. Normally 15 mins into it, he's alseep.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009