Are kindergartenrs who are in special ED supposed to get homework?

This question is for mothers who have or has had kid(s) in kindergarten who were in special education; to be more specific speech delay. My son is 6, attends special day class kindergarten and doesnt recive any homework what-so-ever. I asked the teacher about his homework: her reply to me was, 'We dont give homework cause a lot of the parents here dont speak English and have to work.' ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!????!!!!!! Thats no excuse! Common sense, job or no job, 1 never stops being a parent. The fact that these parents are to fucking lazy to learn English even to better their child infuriates me!!!!!!! How the fuck does that become the deciding factor on my son not getting homework!?!

kahala

Asked by kahala at 2:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is the language really necessary?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I was a long term sub in kindergarten and we did not send home homework for any of the kids except reading. I have subbed in kindergarten in several different schools and none of them sent home regular homework for kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• My DD has speech delay (she is hearing impaired) and she got reading and other homework not all the time but every other week or so. Now she is in 1st grade and gets tons of homework so don't worry its coming. She has to read a half and hour a day at least and gets 4 other sheets weekly sometimes I think its overkill for a 1st grader, but she's smart so no complaints.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 2:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

•  My dd got homework in Kindergarten but only like once a week. I think them not giving homework b/c of the parents not speaking English and working is bullshit.

Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son never had any[he's in an autism program] I don't think our school have homework per se,they might have worksheets sent home for the parents to go over with them.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My sd is in a regular kindergarten class but sees the special ed teacher for 30 mins a days and a speech therapist twice a week. She only has homework from her regular teacher if she was playing and didn't do it in school. The speech teacher sends homework about once a month. Words for us to work on for the week. I have never heard of a school not doing homework because the parents work. Parents work everywhere, you still have to deal with homework. Can you change schools?
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 7:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009