My son ran into a stand the other day and hit his ear, and its black and blue where he hit it. Should I be worried?

My son was spinning around the room a few days ago when he lost his balance and ran into a end-table like thing and hit his ear on it. He didn't hit it hard, so I didn't think there was anything really wrong, but he screamed and cried, holding his left ear. When I got him to move his hand, it was already turning black and blue. And it seems to as if it's gotten worse. I don't know if I should be worried or if it will go away? Please help. It doesn't seem to bother him now. It doesn't seem to hurt when i touch it and mess with it. There is a little bump on the edge in the middle where he must have hit the edge of the end-table/stand.

mama2caden

Asked by mama2caden at 2:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nah, sounds like a good bruise
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• if its not bothering him i wouldn't worry too much. as for looking worse, bruises usually do tend to look worse as they are healing. just keep an eye on it, if it starts swelling out of nowhere or changes drasitically out of nowhere id have it checked. also, i would whisper a question he knows the answer to (like where does mommy keep the milk or something simple like that) in that ear and make sure he responds just so you know it didnt affect his hearing in some way, if he doesnt answer a question you know he knows the answer to after 3 or 4 tries (spaced out, toddlers are crazy and ignore us already so give him a chance) i'd probably take him in just to be safe
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• well, its on his cartilage, on the upper part of his ear.
    mama2caden

Answer by mama2caden at 2:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009