gestational diabetes

So I took the glucose diabetes test and they said it came back kind of high so now I have to go in and take the 3 hr. test where I wont be able to eat or drink anything for 3 hours. What does gestational diabetes (if I end up having it) mean for my pregnancy and the health of my baby. I just worry and worry over these things. It just seems to be one thing after the other. First they thought the placenta was low and than they found a spot on his heart which ended up being nothing and now this. Its just getting so stressful I dunno if I wanna do this again.

sheenar

Asked by sheenar at 2:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Being diagnosed with GD really just puts you at a higher chance of growing a bigger baby. When you keep in mind that the "average" size of babies is decreasing, (primarily because of babies being induced and sectioned) a baby is considered big if they are 9 lbs. A few years ago 8-9lbs was the average. There's a CM mom who home birthed a 13 lb baby without tearing. A strict diet can usually manage GD. If you are diagnosed you just have to weigh the benefits and risks of each option and decide for yourself. I can tell you personally that I wouldn't bother with the 3hr test and instead would take a high 1 hr as a sign that my diet needs to be adjusted. I would not go for an induction or c-section because I would much rather heal from a vaginal tear than major surgery KWIM? A large baby does not mean the baby WILL get stuck. Changing positions can un-stick most babies, and most "stuck" babies are between 7-8 lbs anyway.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 4:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

I would take a look at this. While GD may pose health risks, it is completely overused as an excuse for  interventions, etc, during the birth process and pregnancy.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had GD when I was pregnant. The doc just made me monitor what foods I ate, like not too many carbs, more protein. It sounds scarier than it really is.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had to take the second test with both my pregs, and they both came up negative, it was jstu a big inconveniance....the juice tastes nasty! i think they come back wrong a lot it seems. my sis in law did have it tho. it was an inconveniance b/c she couldnt eat what she wanted a lot of the time, jsut have to watch what you eat.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 3:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I guess just more fruits and vegetables and more exercise. I dunno maybe its just a routine thing. Oh well. I am sure everything will be fine. Those of you who had it, was your baby born healthy and everything?
    sheenar

Answer by sheenar at 3:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Women with Gestational Diabetes tend to also have larger babies, that's why some doctors will usually perform a C-Section once you have reached full term. They will put you on a special diet as well. Just as long as you take care of yourself I'm sure you'll be alright. Good Luck.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am sure everything will be fine. All they said was the test came back a little high I am sure they just want to double check and make sure everything is fine. I am probably freaking out over nothing. I just want my baby to be healthy.
    sheenar

Answer by sheenar at 1:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2009