• In the Spotlight:

Holding bottles and sippy cups...

How old was your little one when he or she started to hold it themselves? Did you have to help or did they learn on their own? Also, I have heard of people taking away the bottle at 6-7 months and just giving them a sippy cup. did you do this? Is is adequate enough for a full feeding?

VBeachMommy

Asked by VBeachMommy at 2:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine would hold his bottle at 4 months, but, he wasn't allowed to lie down and hold it. I held him and his bottle till I took it away at age one. He would have taken a sippy early if I had done it. And yes, they would be fine if your child will take it. They hold as much as a bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I can't fully answer your question but the sippy cup is adequate. If he's still hungry you can always refill it. My dd is 6 months and starting on a sippy cup. She never took a bottle so she doesnt have experience with that but for the most part she holds it up. She drops it often so I just pick it back up for her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My daughter wouldn't hold her bottle until she was 10 months old. We started giving her a sippy at 11 months old but still the bottle for milk. Then at 14 months old we did away with the bottle completely.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• DS is almost 9 Months old and still does not hold his own bottle and I wouldn't have it any other way. He is so busy all day crawling all over the place that he only wants to sit still when he's eating so that is my snuggle time and I am glad he still needs me to do it. :)
    We have started the sippy cup (not exclusively) but if he wants juice, he has to have it in a sippy cup and if he wants to sippy cup he has to hold it himself. So far he is doing really well with it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son NEVER held his own bottle and refused to even hold his sippy cup til 15 months - and I tried everything - lol!! I hadn't heard ever of stopping the bottle at 6-7 months. sorry
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009