How do i get my son to stop hitting and throwing himself around?

My son will be 2 in Sept. Ever time I go to tell him to stop somthing he hits at me or slaps. And when I do tell him that he isnt supose to do something he throws himself on the floor, or he hits his head on the wall or anything that is by him. It's worse in public because he knows I wont yell at him or spank him in public. And thats when he acts up the most. Please help me I dont kno what to do. Thank you Katie

kgrc

Asked by kgrc at 3:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tried to elaborate but it was too lengthy, so if you want help...go to your library and get the book or CD called "How to Make Your Children Mind...Without Losing Yours" by Dr. Keving Leman. He has other books that are good also. Also look up Dr. James Dobson - "The Strong-Willed Child" and "Boys Will Be Boys". Some really great books for moms that don't know what else to do. Please don't ignore them. How do you feel when someone does that to you? Also, make sure you are consistent in whatever you decide. Boys are "bull-headed" and you give them an inch, they will definitely take a mile and you will have lost everything you were trying to achieve. Love them mostly...but be firm and give them some tough love. Hope this helps...the books were lifesavers for me...a single mom raising five sons and one daughter.
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 4:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• OH my, sounds like my grandson who will turn 2 in June. He used to be the sweetest most lovable huggable child and now we don't know day to day what he will do next. My daughter gets angry with him (she's a young mom) and of course i get angry with her for getting angry with him and it always blows up into an arguement. She also has an 8 mth old and I don't want her to learn any of his bad habits. I am calm and cool with him and sometimes he will listen but other times he won't. Every other word out of his mouth is no. He'll be saying no in the process of doing what we've asked him to do. Help!
    ninnas3

Answer by ninnas3 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my son is 17 months and started hitting himself in the face or banging his head on the floor when he's mad or frurstrated. He doesn't seem really mean or mad or anything and I did notice the more I told him not to do it, the more he did it so lately I started ignoring it - not sure if its worked yet but good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• CORRECTION: Sorry, its Dr. Kevin Leman
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 4:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Spank him in public. No one can get on to you for disipilining your child. You're punishements have to be consistent in the home and out in pulbic.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009