Easy & cheap HEALTHY meals...

Everytime I see ideas for fast dinners, they usually consist of hamburger or tater tots...

any healthy ideas for something affordable, healthy, and yummy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• In 2 quart saucepot bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 cup of white rice (or brown if you prefer, just add about 1/4 cup more water). Stir, cover and reduce the heat to low. It should take about 30 minutes for the rice to absorb the water. While the rice is cooking...

Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes (I use either breast of thighs) until you have about 2 cups cubed chicken. Saute in 1 TBSP oil over medium heat until white in a large pot. Add 1/2 - 1 full (depends on how many veggies you want) package of frozen broccoli to the pot. Add 1/2 cup of water and 1/3 cup of teriyaki marinade (with the Ethnic foods, a bottle is about $2.00 and is good for 3 meals). Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Put the rice in bowls, Put the chicken and broccoli on top and pour a little of the sauce over the top.
    (cost = about $4.00 and feeds 3 adults and 3 children in my house)
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• sorry I ran out of room.

Breakdown of cost:

.88 per pound for chicken (on sale, I stock up and freeze it - I use about 1.5 pounds for this recipe. $1.32 for this recipe)
    $2.00 for a bottle of teriyaki sauce (.50 per recipe)
    $4.00 for a bag of rice (less than .50 per recipe)
    $1.50 for the broccoli (I use a full bag so $1.50 for 1 recipe)

Total = approximately $3.82 for this recipe.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• BUMP> I would like to know too,anything cheap and you have to leave vegys out seems like..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• www.kraftfoods.com they're the masters of cheap and easy
    bvona

Answer by bvona at 6:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009