Step-Child. How do you make your significate other understand that he is making his child sick by overfeeding hime. (Child has diabetes, asthma, and weighs 125 at age 7). Without hurting your new relationship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow.....damn I'm a big gurl but never was I 125 at the age of 7 maybe 13 something like that! Maybe make a suggestion that you all should start walking or get a Wii, they are good for activity. Like Wii sports or will play, different things like that. maybe get your step-child into an afterschool activity I have asthma too so I know it hard to do alot of physical activity. But simple things can help. Cook healthier meals...
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Have him come to the Dr. with you & have the DR. explian how this can ruin your childs health in many ways.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• if you cant be honest with him about his childs health then something isnt right. im assuming when you say step child you two are married....so you should be able to speak candidly. And if he cares for her he should try fixing things.
    qtdavis

Answer by qtdavis at 3:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• If the child has type 2 diabetes, inform dad, he can go blind, lose a limb, be on dialysis due to kidney failure etc...Diabetes is not just a sugar problem, it affects every cell in the human body and does major damage if not corrected or controlled. Dad is setting his child up for alot of undue heartaches and more complications health wise if he doesnt do something. If it was me, I would gather as much info on the effects of obesity and diabetes and have a real talk with him, he might not understand the issues completely.
    The reason I brought up type 2 is because it is closely related to being over weight and inactive, if this is the case he can with a healthy attitude towards eating and exersice lose the weight and step away from the damage it is doing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The first red flag in your relationship is that you don't feel comftorble communicating this concern... second is that he is oblivious, or doesnt seem to care about his childs health enough to make a change. If his son has diabeties, then he has been to the doctor with his son, and he knows that his son is overweight. Doctors don't forget to mention serious health concerns. There is more going on then him just over feeding his son. Weather its lack of ability to say no to his so, or if its just easier to give in and give his son what he wants.. I don't know. But there is a bigger heart issue behind your SO carelessness in his own sons health.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Does the father really not know that this is a major problem?

Why not implement healthy eating in your home for everyone? Not just the child, but no junk food at all. And exercise as a family. Go the park or play a sport or whatever. It'll be good for all of you.

It's a tough situation, I wish you the best of luck.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009