Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gender scan today, 90% chance of being a GIRL- but question??

How many of you would want a 2nd opinion on a gender scan? for instance, I had my 20 week scan today and tech told me 90% chance of it being a GIRL- I know that is high, but still that 10% is driving me insane! I dont want to buy all these girlies clothes and paint the nursery pink and turns out to be a boy (i am happy either way trust me but want to be prepared!) so would you take the 90% and go with it OR would you want a second scan/opinion?

Thanks!!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (10)
  • usually if you have another one they will charge you for it they wont charge your insurence so think about htat first. but we have had so many ultra sonds this pregnancy i was told many many times im having a girl lol. i know how you feel tho .
    Mrs.Owen86

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • 90% is REALLY good..think about this...Think of how many pregnant women the ultrasound tech see's everyday for every year they have been doing their job...

    So they've seen thousands of babies on bellys...so...TRUST them...when i was 17weeks you could barely see anything and the guy said girl..and im 38weeks and its girl =D
    MissKellee

    Answer by MissKellee at 3:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • hey be lucky you got that. my friend got her 20 week ultra sound and wanted to know what she is having but the baby's legs were crossed go figure lol. They told my mom that she had 90% chance it was a girl and they were right. I would buy mostly girl clothes with a few boy ones too, you can always turn around and return them once he/she is born. And maybe paint the nursery a color that would work for both like yellow. good luck!
    HuntersMama09

    Answer by HuntersMama09 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • They always tell you there is a 90% or 85% or whatever chance to cover their own butts, even when it is pretty much 100% clear which it is.
    riotgrrl

    Answer by riotgrrl at 3:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • If you plan on getting 3d/4d pictures done you can also ask them to do a gender determination just to put you at ease.
    cynprz

    Answer by cynprz at 3:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • they also say that the girls private can look swollen so it looks like balls, lol so it might be right. Some say u always have what ur mom had first and so on
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • well did they give you a butt shot US pic girls have 3 lines and boys just one
    Fordmomma

    Answer by Fordmomma at 4:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • If you have a crotch shot, a girl will (generally) have three little white lines, for the labia. Most boys will have small penis shape there, sometimes one line generally there is more shape tho. As one PP said they use lower percentages to cover them selves, but when there is a girl, there is always a chance the "package" hasn't dropped.

    Most places will charge for an additional u/s unless it is medically necessary. There may be a change for a later u/s and if so, be sure to ask if she is still a girl.
    IZs_mommy

    Answer by IZs_mommy at 5:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Well from experience I would not go with 90% when I was pregnant 16 years ago they told me I was having a girl i already had 2 boys so I was thrilled I had complications and had to have 4 ultra sounds and was told all 4 times yep it is a girl had a baby shower all girl room was all girl you get the picture yep and then delivery imagine my surprise when the doc said congrats it's a boy WHAT I said yeah you are funny give me my daughter um no joke it was a boy. I was disappointed and had to have my mom go and return everything and buy all new and i had to come up with a name in 2 days for a boy so It was a shock to say the least. then I got pregnant again 13 years later ( a surprise and they said it was girl I didnt want to believe them but this time they were right.
    unicorn54166

    Answer by unicorn54166 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Hey ladies! I ended up going for a second opinion/ultrasound today and was giving it in 3D which CONFIRMED my baby is 100% GIRL!! Plus I have the pics to prove it now and for my own peace of mind, now I can start the planning of her nursery room and all of her outfits!!!

    I am so glad I did it b/c although at the first ultrasound (few days ago) the tech gave us a 90% accuracy of my baby being a girl, that extra 10% really drove me nuts! Not that I was opposed to having a boy, but just for planning purposes.... I am SO glad I went today!! It was well worth it!!

    ps. my baby was very ladylike today, had her legs crossed and didnt want to show her private part!! the tech had to tap my belly a few times to make her uncross them! so adorable!!

    Thanks everyone for your replies!! I really appreciate it!


    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.