How do you get babies to take longer naps? My baby is 7 months old and is going down for his 2 naos fine, but he waks up only fayer 45 mins to 1 hr each nap, and wakes up not well rested. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Will he not take a 3rd nap? My first daughter did this and most of the time I could get her down for a third nap. She was definitely overtired, though. I tried a lot of things people recommended... darkening the room, white noise, letting her try to go back to sleep for a period of time, nursing her the moment she woke up and trying to get her right back down.... none of these things worked, and finally she just outgrew it. Babies that wake up after 30-45 minutes are waking up during the light phase of their 90 minute sleep cycles. They eventually learn to put themselves back to sleep or to not wake up at all... My daughter started doing better (not every day, but some days) around 7 months. Make sure you aren't running in there at the first sound you hear, though... give him a little time because you never know what day he'll finally go back out. I think an hour nap, though, is pretty good rest...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009