Where was autism when we were kids??!

like in the 80s or 90s??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Health

• hiding, lurking around the corner.
    Anonymous

• They just assumed kids were anti-social, the only reason autism has gone up is because now every person assumes if their child isn't playing with other kids or talking as much that they have autism. About 3 out of 5 kids that are diagnosed with autism at a young age end up NOT having autism. So that means only 2 out of those 5 actually have autism, people are overly paranoid.
    Anonymous

• I'm with anon 2:15. I was diagnosed with autism and never had it. I'm very upset about this wrong diagnosis because it wound up affecting me, up until now. I'm 22 and was "diagnosed" with it when I was two, which is way too young to even tell. I was shy so they slapped autism on my forehead, assuming I wasn't "normal". Now that it is on my records, people treat me differently, even my OBGYN who delivered my son. I can't stand how they do that and now it's pretty much had a negative repricussion on my life.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Either undiagnosed and assumed to be anti-social, or diagnosed as mentally retarded.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Diagnostic tools and tests are much more accurate now and readily available. Kids back then were just considered "different" or "slow" or "retarded". They weren't given help because no one knew what to do or even that anything was wrong.

Asperger's has only been recognized since 1992 in the US.

The "only" reason Autism rates have risen is because of awareness.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• What everyone else said. Only reason I got 'diagnosed' with it in 1990 was because my mom knew what to look for because she just studied it in college and asked my brothers' psychiatrist to evaluate me (but my mom had it kept from my record so it was never official). Most people assumed that autistic children were just antisocial or were labeled with something different. We have so many adults who have undiagnosed autism and they turned out just fine.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• don't know where you are getting your statistics.we had to fight tooth and nail to get our son's dx,they don't throw them out willy nilly!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Autism wasn't a "official" dx until the late 80s. Severe autism was usually considered retardation. Mild autism was considered "misfit" kids. There are many adults out there who would have been diagnosed as autistic if they were evaluated now.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I don't know where these numbers are coming from anon 2:15, but have you seen the tests they put the kids through now? And I'll tell you something else. I don't think my son is ASD just b/c he doesn't talk enough. He talks plenty. It's just alot of the same sentence's and phrases over and over. And he isn't anti-social either. He play's with other kids. He just wants to do what he wants to do most of the time. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the sensory intergration stuff. He takes his clothes off when it is below 50 and puts on sweaters and sweatpants when it is above 65. I am NOT overly parinoid. And I hate it that there are people out there who just want a dx for their child so they will take the first thing that is suggested and will run with it. I am so sick of having to type this kind of response.
    To the op, I agree with pp.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Childhood development until the age of 6 is wildly variable. What is known, is that how a child is treated in those first 6 years is extremely important. All children need physical and emotional interaction. Studies done in Romanian orphanages show children with limited interaction/stimulation actually have abnormalities in their brains. Therefore, my point is, a diagnosis too early in a lot of these cases might be harming the child. Slap a label on a little kid and treat normal childhood weirdness as autism, and maybe in SOME instances, we are over-diagnosing. Incidentally, i can think of only one kid growing up that would have been probably labeled mildly autistic that I knew of, and I went to the same HUGE school for K-9. I knew most these kids for 10 years! Some were odd, but most of them grew through weird behaviors and went on to HS...now I live in a neighborhood with multiple autistic children.
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2009