Did anyone have an assisted birth with vacuum?

How was your experience with assisted delivery? Did you have any problems afterward?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was delivered using vacuum extraction. I had to get an episiotomy, but other than that everything turned out ok. She was "sunny-side up".
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son was delivered with vacuum. I tore up but it all healed pretty good. No post traumatic stress. Just some uncomfortable mild pain in the beginning but after time it goes away.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 3:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had one.... everything was fine i barely tore and baby is great to
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 3:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My sister had this with three of the babies. I am sure it was because she had an epidural and couldn't feel how she needed to push.
    With her last baby he wasn't coming down with her pushes. The doc attached the vacuum and pulled him out. It cracked her pelvis. She was in so much pain for the first 10 weeks after he was born that my mom and I helped her everyday. She doesn't even remember those weeks, because she was in so much pain.
    Her son's head was cocked to the side and couldn't mold to the correct shape to come down.
    I have had two babies since she had this happen. There would be NO way that I would let them use that thing on me or my baby. I would rather have a c-section than for the dr to use it. And I am terrified of a c-section.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Wow you girls who didn't tear and had great experiences are so lucky. I didn't have an epi...that was probably my own mistake. The pain of pushing for 6 hrs won't leave my mind.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my son was delivered by vaccum the funny thing is he was a cesction baby his feet were so high in my ribs that his feet were bent back words he had already dropped but the dr need help getting him out he was 10lbs 24 inches long
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my first was born using the vacuum extractor. I had been pushing for 3 1/2 hours I was exhausted, his head was ginormous, and I really wanted him out so when the doctor asked me if I wanted him to assist with the vacuum I said do it and do it now. I ended up with a 3rd degree episiotomy, was sore for awhile and my son had a huge scab on his head for a long time.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i've had help with the vacuum with both my boys. my oldest the doctor cut me and my son had a scab on his head for a while. with my second son who is only 9 days old the doctor used two different vacuums five times and my son had a big cone head at birth and a scab and humatomma i also tore to the 4th degree which is the worst. my sons head is still uneven, but its doing good and his doctor said his head will evenually form to look normal
    SpringMommy07

Answer by SpringMommy07 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• with my daughter they used a vaccum she had so much hair on her head it took a few tries because it wouldnt stick.
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 8:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• they had to with me, i was pushing for 3 1/2 hours and all my son would do with every push was come forward a bit then go back.. for 3 1/2 hours!!! so they told me eithe give one more hard push and hed be out, they use the vaccuum or i had to have an emergency c-sec. and i was totally opposed to the vaccuum but i was so so exhausted bc i was having contractions from 8pm the night before and he was born at 4:10 pm and my m-i-l assured me the baby would be fine and so would i. they needed to get him out bc we were both running 101.4 fevers bc he did his buisiness after they broke my water.. and he'll be 5months next weekend and hes doing amazing. hes perfectly healthy...
    cqjg61508

Answer by cqjg61508 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2010