Landlord problems....what do I say or do I just shut up and take it??

My landlord refuses to give us a lease. We are doing some credit repair and can't just up and move right now.The landlord is constantly threatening to rent the house to someone else. She wanted me to pay rent 13 days early, I said no, she got mad, told me someone would be to see the house on Sun & she would rent it to them. (No one showed up) Today a man drops by out of the blue to look at the ceiling, I'm sick as hell with strep and won't let him in. She leaves me a voice mail (didn't answer cuz I can't talk) if I don't let this stranger in right now she's renting the house to someone else. It's been like this since November. She's never asked us to move out, or told us that she wants us to move. It's just that every time we don't do what she wants when she wants she threatens us. We can't even use the garage cuz all her stuff is stored in it, she won't fix stuff, and asked us to pay the ins deductible... CONT'D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• your state will have its own goverment website, on that you can read all tenant/landlord rights. She does not have right to call you for these things. She does not have the right to come, even for a repair unannonced. Even if she is not providing you with a new lease, once a lease expires it automaticlly turns into a tenant at will, the only difference is rent amount can go up with 30 day notice instead of yearly. she needs to send you notice to quit notice or go to court and start the eviction process. you have rights, more then she knows about. if she wants cash so bad, why not spend the $1 and get a money order at your local postoffice which has a reciept attached to it and you can track it if need be? check out your states website for sure, once I learned my rights I felt much better dealing with the landlord legaly knowing she was wrong. if a landlord is found in violation, in a court, tenant receives 3 times security.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• when the roof started leaking. She's asked us to lie to the insurance company to get more money to fix the roof. She got pissed because DH wouldn't pay for replacing the fence (we've only been here 6 months - none of the damage is ours) She will send people over to our house if we don't either answer her call right away or call her back within an hour (she lives 5 hours away). I've gotten so pissed that I've thought about making her MAKE us move, knowing eviction can take up to 90 days..... she's that intrusive.
    What the hell do I say to her to get her to stop threatening us.?
    Anonymous

• There are some places that you can rent with having bad credit. Look up the landlord\tennant laws in your state. What she is doing is just petty.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• And I think she can get in trouble. Especially if she asked you to lie to get more money. That's FRAUD.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• There is legal ways to go about getting you out of the house. No one can just ask you to leave and you leave. You have to be served a eviction notice and you have to have a certain amount of time to vacate the premesis. Like a 30 day or 60 day notice.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 4:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thing is we pay the rent, on time , every month. She gets mad because I won't pay with cash.... I pay with a check so I can have record. We don't answer her calls sometimes because it's always petty stupid stuff... like one time she wanted us to count the broken pickets in the fence.... we did.... she never replaced them. Once she wanted me to take cash to her friend because her friend wanted to borrow money and she decided to let her friend borrow my rent money.... of course I said NO and of course she threatened to rent the house to someone else.
    Anonymous

• The agreement is rent is due by the 6th of the month, and is to be deposited into her bank account because she lives so far away. So far, she's only mailed me two receipts for rent..... that' s why I refuse to deposit cash.
    Anonymous

• Call legal aid about your landlord and see if there is anything you can do about the harassment from your landlord.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yea its time to get her butt in trouble. That landlord is up to something shady. You do not have to pay the rent 13 days early, as long as it is on time you are good. Keep records on everything, even the phone calls. And asking you to commit fraud is putting your name on the line. So yea look into getting help to make her stop harassing you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• OP here. One time, we were having a wind storm and she called and wanted DH to go and rip some shingles off the roof..... he refused. She said fine, then you're to blame if the insurance doesn't think the damage is enough replace the roof and all your crap gets ruined.

Seriously, not that I would, But I have thought about just NOT paying rent anymore and forcing her to evict me..... I could have enough money saved up to rent a nice place before the judgment ever went through.... I know that would be wrong.... but geez she pisses me off with all the threats.
    Anonymous