• In the Spotlight:

So whta is the deal about bumpers for cribs? Im a first time mom so I have heard several stories.

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 4:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here's what I found:
    They can pose a suffocation hazard before the baby is good and mobile. Even newborns can wiggle around a crib and get trapped under a bumper pad. So if you use them at this stage, make sure they are well tied DOWN, not to just to the sides, of the crib. Bumper pads should have ties on the top and the bottom edges for this purpose.
    Once a baby is able to roll over and move around the crib fairly easily, bumpers can be needed to prevent arms and legs from getting stuck in the bars. Some kids have problems, some don't. You can use mesh bumpers to prevent this or regular ones. A crib tent also prevents it.
    Once a baby can pull up to standing, the bumpers MUST go. They can be used as a stepping stool, increasing the chances that the baby will get high enough to tumble out of the crib. Mesh ones that cover the entire side and crib tents don't have this problem.

Hope that helps!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm not going to use them. They're awfully cute, though!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I also think they are so so cute......however.....they are also extremely dangerous! Your little one can get their head stuck under there and suffocate. I took a SIDS class and they said not to use them at all.
    Congrats!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 4:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We've always had one with my son. He never went anywhere near them as a newborn, just stayed in one little spot where we layed him down all night and now sometimes he lays up against them but he's very able to move away. They're going to come out soon because he's learning how to stand up in his crib. I'm just still afraid of him bumping his head or getting an arm stuck.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We've never used them with our daughters, they seemed unnecessary and I had heard vague things about the risks... and they have had NO problems whatsoever, so I don't really see the benefits. I actually like the look of a nice crib without them, too -- not that the look is what matters.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I used them until my daughter started rolling around. I think it made the crib seem less big and scary when she was super tiny. Once she could roll over into them, I took them out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I use one thats called a breatheable bumper! I love it one my son scoots & he likes to put he's feet through the slits on the crib. so it stops him from doing that & I don't have to worry about suffocating.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009