• In the Spotlight:

OMG, This is so not true. I think

I have been shopping for insurance for my daughter who is 9 months, and thought i would call an agent. And they just told me that no one will take my 9 month old daughter right now because i am pregnant. I don't believe that. None of the companies i have look at like blue cross , humana have asked me anything if i was pregnant because i am not getting insurnce on me just my daughter. What is that agent thinking. I will just go online and get it myself. Has anyone ever heard that before. ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Usually pregnancy is NOT considered a pre-existing condition. I don't know why they wouldn't even cover you. Depending on where you live, you could probably get state aid insurance on yourself and your daughter, and it pays for everything.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Some insurance companies do not cover pregnant women, they probably assumed that you wanted insurance as well. They are the dumb ones, dont feel bad about it. You should call and ask to speak to a manager and keep going up the line if they keep giving you problems. You tell them "if you don't want to deal with me then let me speak to the person above you" and if they give you problems you tell them the same thing, over time they will break and want to help you. People get scared when you tell them you are going to talk to their boss! But again some stupid companies don't cover pregnant women, but your daughter should be covered by any agency. Good luck! Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

• Most insurances will not cover pregnancy... The reason your daughter isn't covered is because most insurance agencies will not alow a minor to carry a pollicy with out an adult, and once there is an adult it's a higher rate. Children are not usually covered because they are more expensive than adults - well visits, sick visits, broken bones, sports injuries, dance injuries, snake bites from camp... It adds up. And to them that's all negatives... Message me, I'll tell you what I do. I don't believe in paying the insurance companies thousands a year when I will NEVER get that much back in savings... Even if you are only paying $100 a month for insurance that's still $1200 a year, if you were paying out of pocket would you really pay $1200 a year? Now, think what you have to add to that $1200 when you have insurance. Co-Pays, Rx Costs, deductable. Not worth it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• So I have something much better... I put $200 a month in to healthcare - TOTAL... That covers our benefits and all other fees... That's for 5 people... Depending on your budget you could be putting much less in...

Message me and I'll tell you how I do things! And what I have!

Sabrina M Bowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yeah. um poster above has no idea what she is talking about...AT ALL. She is trying to sell you ameriplan.
    I am an underwriter at Blue Cross Blue Shield and I issue individual policies on children - YES JUST CHILDREN SABRINA, ALL BY THEMSELVES- all day. Saying most insurance policies will not allow a minor to carry a policy and that they are more expensive than adults is complete BULL. You obviously know absolutely nothing about the REAL insurance industry, only what your ameriplan scam tells you to suck people in.

OP- honey, go online to bcbs of your state, or humana, or any other insurance company in your area and run some quotes online. Or get the name of an agent from their site. Your broker is a bad one. We won't cover pregnant women, nor will we cover men whom have spouses/girlfriends that are expecting. We absolutely cover children with expectant mothers if mom is not on the policy.
    Anonymous

• Blue Cross Blue Shield is what I have on my entire family so to say that they dont cover children is FALSE!
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 5:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• When my son was still in college but over 17 or 18 or whatever the family plan is, BCBS covered him with an individual plan.

Answer by Bmat at 5:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009