Jewish Passover/ Christian passover

I was raised christian. As a child, we celebrated easter but we celebrated and had a 'passover' dinner on the day passover falls on every year. My family was not the only one that did that BTW. My parents always explained passover as ' the last supper' Jesus had with his desciples etc.
But the calendar passover is the Jewish holiday which in fact has to do with the first borns being "passed over" in Egypt but nothing to do with Jesus, correct? So is this just something that some Christians adapted to fit their own religious beliefs for Easter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Um, actually, Passover is pretty much a Jewish holiday - I don't know any Christians that celebrate it.

What your parents referred to as "passover" was actually the last supper of Christ which HAPPENED on passover.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• That is correct. Peasach (Passover) has to do with Moses and the 10 plagues. It has nothing to do with Jesus.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• when I go to a passover meal i do it with a messianic jewish congregation so it's the traditional jewish passover. i've never done it any other way.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thanks Jennijune 21. So to be clear. Jesus actually has his last supper ON the Jewish passover in the bible?
    Anonymous

• Anon,

Yes. :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thanks all for your answers!
    Anonymous

• Yes, Jesus instituted the new covenant with the Bread and Wine after he had observed this, his last last Passover, and he told his Apostles to "Keep doing this in remembrance of me"Luke 22:19

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009