what would you do if your 19mth old wont sleep through the night?

my son still wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle, but here lately he is waking up like and infant and wants a bottle every 3 hours. i have tryed every thing i can think of . help.

rain704

Asked by rain704 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WOW my kids were off the bottle at 10 months, at 18 months my son was waking up for a sippy cup of whole milk but thats it, only once a nite. But I did that until I was like 10, so it's normal for them to wake up at least once. My daughter is 10 months and she wakes up two times a night for water and a diaper change but thats it. You should make sure he's eating enough in the day, and even if he does wake up, give him water in his bottle, about a week later he wont want to wake up anymore because he knows hes not going to get a milk bottle. But you should really have him off the bottle by now, not saying you shouldn't give him his nutrition from what you put in it just get rid of it because he sees it as comfort.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Its probably out of habit at this age. I stopped the midnight feeding with my son at 11 months - he also probably has yet to learn to self sooth himself to sleep so when his sleep is interrupted by a dream or teething or anything at all, he doesn't know how to put himself back to sleep - those were direct words from my ped after a 3 day stint where my son woke every hour all night for 3 days straight. you may have to figure out a new method and stop the midnight feeding. there will be weeks proabbly of crying and asking for the bottle but he needs to learn that his habit has to be broken by this age.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yep. Habit. I've been there. I put a bottle of water in my daughter's crib at bedtime (yes, I was a "late" bottler too), showed her it was there, and kissed her goodnight. The first night, she woke up crying as usual. I went in, reminded her of the bottle, showed it to her, and left. She found it on her own after that.
    Then I started only partly filling it. Then it went away entirely.

The key thing to remember at this point is that a tantrum is a tantrum, no matter what. How do you deal with a tantrum at 2pm for a cookie? What do you do with a tantrum at 2am for a bottle? Are you sending mixed messages?

When you are ready to get rid of the bottles, try the "bottle fairy" if you don't just want to throw them away in front of him. My daughter was quite happy to have the bottle fairy take her bottles away to a new baby who needed them now that she was a big girl.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2009