Are all "Only Child" children always spoiled rotten brats??

I have one, but I really don't think I could afford having another child. Daycare is so expensive amongst everything else. I really want another, and I always had big brothers that I could play with and they will always be there for me the rest of my life. I have heard that most only children grow up to be selfish and cold. Does it make a huge difference in children and adults that did not have siblings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Actually only children are not anymore bratty than kids with siblings. It is a myth spread by people who have no clue what they are talking about. My son is an only child and he is not a rotten kid. Kids with parents that always give in and give up will end up spoiled rotten whether there is one or a dozen of them.

My son is not lonely at all. In fact him and three of his friends are in our basement playing with Legos. His friends like to come here because there are not little kids running around like at home.

Only children tend to be more independent and many are exceptionally intelligent since they had so many years of one on one time with mom and dad. My son is gifted in all academic areas, sports and in music. We have the time and money with only one child to allow him to explore and find out what he is good at.

I could not imagine having more than one. We love the individual time we have with our son.
    Anonymous

• hahahahah! pretty much. im an only child and well, look how i turned out ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i think its in how you parent. he/she is in day care already, so he (for the sake of not saying he/she) is used to not getting every adults attention 100% of the time. as long as you don't get him everything he wants all the time i think he'll be perfectly fine. and hes around other children that he gets to see on a reg basis and play with. i can't say from experience there were 5 of us, but i know people as adults that were only children and aren't selfish and cold
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• No, they are not selfish and cold unless you make them that way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It is all how the child is raise, My son is an only child and he is not selfish or mean or anything along those lines, he is spoiled though.. since they day he was born he has gotten everything he wanted .... but he is very kind, loving and would give his whole room away to other children with nothing if he could.... like i said it all depends on what the parent teaches them
    Anonymous

• She is very polite and well behaved...I'm just worried that not having siblings will effect her negatively.
    Anonymous

• it has nothing to do with what the child get it has to do if the parents teach them and show them that they cant act out and be selfish and mean
    Anonymous

• Nope. Im an only child. I was absolutely NOT spoiled rotten. I also dont think im selfish and cold. The only thing is I always felt immensely lonely. I didnt have any siblings to play with or hang out with or that I could turn to.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think the only way that it might effect her is she might get lonely at times with out a brother or sister....
    Anonymous

• well since everyone is being serious i guess i must be too :p my parents had me in their mid 30's and they worked all the time and i was raised in day cares. i was spoiled frickin rotten. i grew up selfish and immature, but not cold. i have a big heart and im one of the nicest people i know. im just immature and ridiculous, but i learned in psychology that thats because my parents were never around and not because i was an only child. i also had a baby at 20, tell your daughter not to do that ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2009