Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you tell someone you've made a decision in your child's best interest and it means not to involve them in your child's life?

Is it best to ignore the person when they ask to see the child? Write them and tell them no, it's not possible?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • i guess if it was me, i'm assuming if it is best for your child to stay away from this person it is for you as well. talk to them up front, say i'm sorry we have to cut all ties i don't feel that being around you is in the best interest of myself or my child. after that if they kept asking i would ignore them

    Answer by vabchmommy at 4:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • As long as it's not the father and in some states the grandparents. Just bc you don't like those folks doesn't mean you have a right to exclude them from their life. Now if it's just a non-related person, then just say it like you said it here.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • It depends on if this person has a legal right to see the child. If so, a letter isn't going to do anything. If not, I think a letter is a great idea.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • That depends on a lot of things. Who's the person? Why'd you make the decision? We had a similar situation with my husband's parents, and we just confronted them when they asked. They wanted to babysit, and I will not leave my dd alone with them for any length of time. We were just honest. It was a loud, painful fight (well, for them), and it resulted in them not attending her 1st birthday party. The losses have all been theirs. Always make the decision that is best for your child, you don't owe anyone an explanation on that.

    Answer by LiviGracesmom at 5:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Be straight up about it. Dodging the issue will only make it worse in the end. If you have legal right to say no, then say no. If you don't have legal right, then you better get a lawyer.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 5:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Yes , I would tell them..
    After my brother beating me down with his drug addiction of 20 years...
    I told myself that me nor my children would ever be around anyone who is an addict.
    I had to let go of a very close friend of mine...I knew her for almost my whole life...but
    she was in denial....
    I told her the truth...until I felt or knew she was seeing me nor my children..
    I miss her dearly but it is the best thing for all of us..

    Answer by Dannee at 6:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.