sleep question

I'm stuck on what to do to get my baby to sleep in his crib. He is almost 5 months old, and I put him in his crib at night, and he wakes 1-2 hours later and won't go back to bed unless its with me in my bed. I want him to sleep in his own bed now, and not be up every hour. I got the no cry sleep solution book and have read it but it seems it takes forever to work. Has anyone tried this method?? I don't want to let him cry it out, but im afraid that might be all I can do. I'm just so tired when he wakes up, I take the easy way out and bring him into bed with me. What should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• to get my daughter to sleep on her own i did the whole let her cry for 5 mins the first night then go in and rub her back (they said dont pick her up) and tell her you love her and its bed time, then leave the room and add 5 more mins, so if she was still crying 10 mins later go back in. the second night wait 8 mins the first time and so forth. it lasted less than a week. i think it took about 4 nights and by night 5 she whimpered for about 4 mins and passed out. its hard, turn down the monitor and turn up the tv. or go outside if you cant stand the crying but it worked
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• One suggestion, if you're not doing this already. You should not nurse her straight to sleep, because this leaves her looking for you when she wakes up. If you teach her to self-soothe herself to sleep at the beginning of the night, it makes it easier for her to do this when she wakes up. I just posted how we did this to a question a few questions above yours...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I tried them ALL with my son until I was at my wits end and he was waking up every hour for 20 mintues an hour for 3 days straight. my ped told me because of his colic he never learned to put himself to sleep - they have to learn how to figure out how to sooth themselves to sleep - I started the 100% crying it out method on a weekend ( knowing he can cry for days!! lol ) and it took 3 days to work. Although still sometimes at night at 17 months he will cry for 25 minutes before bed - I swear though I think he's just SO active that he could stay up 20 hours a day and be ok
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• CIO is never all you can do. It's the worst as far as baby's best concern. A 5 month old is still very young and adjusting. They don't understand time and schedules. It's normal. There's nothing wrong with letting him sleep with you. It's what keeps him, happy, safe, and soundly sleeping. That's exactly what you want. Sleeping alone isn't important. Sleeping well is.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am reading that you don't want to let him cry, but you don't want something that will take forever. Assuming that I have understood correctly... Anything that you do at 5 months takes time. Your goal seems to be him sleeping in his crib. Have you tried having daddy go calm him back to sleep? Even FERBER would not advise letting a five month old cry it out any way.

Try no cry sleep solution for a couple of weeks. And if you do need something faster, read Ferber's book. It won't be faster, but it'll make you see that there is no quick fix for our little babies. :) Just never ever close the door and don't come back. Our kids do need to be taught how to put themselves to sleep, but we have to teach them. They need to feel safe and good in that crib in order to happily go to sleep. I have inadvertently let my six month old cry to sleep (monitor screwed up, my stupid), and she was terrified of her bed for 2 weeks.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• if you dont want himsleeping with you, stop bringing him to bed with you. rock him back to sleep (or rub his back, whatever) and put him back down. he will learn to self soothe. my dd is 3 1/2 months and i put her down half asleep and she goes right to sleep, if she wakes up and fusses she finds her hand and sucks on it. i never let her cio, just rocked her until she was drossy. I will let her cio when she's older (like 7-8 months). I do like what the first poster said about the time thing. I'll do that when we let her go to bed fully awake. and start and KEEP a routine. addison knows her routine by heart now and actually mved her bedtime from 8 to 7.
    hilwiesemann

Answer by hilwiesemann at 10:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009