Headstart

Did anyones kids go? My baby is 5 months and said she can go to early headstart. What kind of things do they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've heard it's for low-income families, I try getting my son in it, but my income didn't allowed me to. So I don't know extactly what they do. But good luck if you get your son involed in it!
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 5:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Headstart here is for 4 year olds, but if they have openings they will take older 3 year olds. They take low income first, special needs second and everyone else last until their spots are filled.

Our head start program in this town SUCKS. So check yours out well.

It's a preschool, and they follow the same curriculum as the school district.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My boys went to 9 months of it, they loved it but they were 4 and 5 yrs old.... They didn't offer it in the new town we moved but I'm glad to have my youngest home until he starts Kindergarten... Our 6 yr old loves kindergarten, he's been at the top of the class since he started and our 5 yr old is so ready, academically, socially, and so excited!!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 5:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Head Start programs offer a stimulating setting where children with disabilities can interact with typically developing preschoolers and at the same time get necessary services and supports. Head Start services are designed to address a broad range of abilities, experiences, and learning styles exhibited by all preschoolers from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Head Start programs also prepare economically disadvantaged children for school by providing the early reading and math skills they will need to be successful in kindergarten and beyond. Local Head Start providers also work in conjunction with other service providers and government agencies to meet the educational, health, nutritional, social and other needs of enrolled children and families. Head Start programs emphasize parent involvement and work closely with families in the education of their children.

Hope this helps
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Two of my three children attended and it was wonderful. They had a specialist come in and work with Samantha one-on-one with her speech and occupational therapy. Then the head start teachers were taught how to work with her disabilities, as well. With Kathie, who was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3 but was not on meds, they helped me with some parenting ideas and worked with her one-on-one, too, to help her outbursts and tantrums.
    I became a volunteer of the Head Start Policy Council and I was also part of a group of Head Start parents and teachers who went to Washington, DC back in the late 90's for March On Washington Stand For Children where we listened to Marion Wright-Edelman give a wonderful speech about her Leave No Child Behind initiative. It was a monumental event!
    Head Start is awesome for the children and awesome for the parents who become involved!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son was three and potty trained and he started in Oct of this year and by Christmas I had pulled him out. He hated it and started to cry when I put him on the bus. I am not forcing him to go ever. His teacher was old and I think mean. I think she would tell him big boys don't cry. I think it is a total waste of tax payer money and most moms, low income, use it because it is free daycare for 5 hours a day four days a week.
    Anonymous