How do I keep my 6 month old from waking up when I put him down asleep?

He wakes up almost 99% of the time and cries. He usually falls asleep in my arms when I breastfeed him and then prefers to sleep in my arms too, regardless of all my movement. I think I've created a problem by not consistently putting him down when he was younger. Yikes! Is this possible to turn around? I'm worried about the future when I leave him with sitters. :o(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right around this age (or maybe 5 months?) with both of my daughters, I started changing their bedtime ritual. I made the whole routine VERY regimented for awhile... bath (whether they need it or not), jammies, nurse WITH LIGHTS ON... then, even if they fell asleep nursing, I'd wake rouse them and read a book or 2. Then I'd turn the lights out and sing a song or two, and finally put them down awake but calm. They would NOT have been calm if I had gone straight from nursing to crib. But you need the routine to be the same every day so they know what's coming and expect it. My girls, as soon as I started this, would just talk themselves to sleep. (NOT cry it out). Every once in awhile, they'd put in a 30 second fuss right before drifting off, but again, this is not crying it out.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I never figured out how to do that. I can now get my son to fall asleep in his crib, but I'm still working on gettting him to self soothe. He will probably always wake up when you put him down, you just have to find away to get him to go to sleep while he's already in his crib.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Don't worry too much. If you are against letting him cry it out, you should go to wherever he's sleeping and monitor him until he falls back asleep. Your presence might comfort him back to la-la-land. Otherwise, I say let him cry it out. My daughter did this alot as a baby, too (I breastfed as well and she always wanted me to hold her when she slept.)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 5:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Try using white noise.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I myself have the same problem ,and I know its my fault letting him sleep with us at night , so he expects to feel me there when he sleeps oh well
    melissa33181

Answer by melissa33181 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm having that same issue right now. I have him in a routine, but he still wakes. I've noticed wrapping him up snug in his blankie helps a little, and he needs total quiet.. he's a light sleeper like i am.

I wish i knew more ways..
    missy_J79

Answer by missy_J79 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i put the shirt that i'm wearing in the crib and lay him on that
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• just keep putting him down. he'll get used to it. that is, unless you want to hold him all the time. of course he's going to prefer to be held while sleeping, youre warm, its his mom, you have food. if you want him to eventuallysleep on his own he's going to have to get used to being put down.
    hilwiesemann

Answer by hilwiesemann at 10:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2009