Was anyone else starving all the time while breastfeeding?

Holy crap, and I mean starving! I must eat every hr, of course I'm breastfeeding every hr too but that's because the little one is going through a growth spurt. But I was eating constantly even before that. And I heard you lose weight breastfeeding, ha seems unlikely!

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always seem to be eating too. I don't seem to be loosing weight. With my first two I lost fast. I also seem to be eating more this time.
    amyrufft

Answer by amyrufft at 5:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• LOL I think so, but I have been breastfeeding or pregnant for 3 years straight without a break (2 different babies), so it's hard to remember what my "normal" appetite... As for the weight loss question... I think what people mean by the fact that you're supposed to lose weight by breastfeeding just means you drop a bunch really fast in the initial post-partum days. Most women I know were like this but then hit a plateau and didn't lose the rest until they weaned. But we're old ladies (nearly 30) compared to many around here, so it's not as easy to get our form back.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have heard that breast feeding burns 500 calories every time you do it, so if you are brestfeeding every hour that is a lot of calories you are burning. Therefore you will naturally be hungry.
    I went through the same thing and I did lose a lot of weight initially, but like a pp said I hit a plateau and stopped losing.
    I am at a comfortable weight now, but I think I could stand to lose a few more.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 5:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had the opposite. I was never hungry. I had to force myself to eat.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Oh man I was starving, and am even more now that I'm breastfeeding and pregnant. I pretty much graze all day long. If I eat a huge meal I'll still be hungry in 30 minutes to an hour after.

Exercise if you're wanting to lose the weight, getting on a diet will just make you cranky when you're needing those calories. haha. Good luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I had to eat very frequently in the newborn stage too. You're body is adjusting to this new job. Keep it well fed. I ate a lot and still lost weight =) The appetite eventually regulated. But it's still pretty high compared to pre-pregnancy. No one believes I eat like a horse cause I only weight 90 lbs =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I eat alot too and am still breast feeding but its the habits you take with you when you stop nurseing that will determine your weight ,I suggest filling up regularly with carrots and other vegis and fruit ,I prefered carrots and cabbage apples and cheese etc...
    melissa33181

Answer by melissa33181 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I am ALWAYS hungry, my son is almost 6 months old and i'm always eating.. i can't eat dairy or soy though so maybe the fact that i'm on a restricted diet is what makes me so hungry. I lost about 32 lbs in the beginning, now i can't seem to lose any more. My husband bought an elliptical, and i've been trying to squeeze in 30 mins. a day on it.. but with my son going through growth spurts/eating more & now has started teething he's just too demanding lately.

It's SO hard to make time to exercise with a small one around!
    missy_J79

Answer by missy_J79 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• its 500 calories a day not every feeding...to viola
    Anonymous

• yes...I eat constantly but still seem to lose weight anyway...keep in mind you're burning around 500 calories a day BFing...but ya, Im always thirsty too.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009