Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you apply for grants?

my husband has lost his job, this Monday he was let go. We decided to go back to school. We can not afford to pay for it our selves nor can we get a student loan. So how do you get grants to go back to school?

We will receive some money from the united states army for school but it will not cover the total cost, because we both could not finish our terms due to being medically discharged.


Asked by mrssundin at 5:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 19 (6,722 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • You have to fill out and submit the FAFSA, and do it ASAP. It's already too late in some states for State aid for next school year, but you can still get federal aid.

    You'll need your tax return, so if you haven't filed yet, do that first.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • You can apply for the Pell Grant, which is income based. As far as any other grants, you can talk to the school and they should know more about that. I tried googling it once and didn't get anywhere with it. Your county might have a scholarship, too. Mine has one, but it's for single mothers.

    Answer by sarapurser at 5:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Also check with your school and see if they have a pamplet that lists grants avalaible to students.

    Answer by heatherama at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Go to the Financial Aid office of the school you are applying to.

    Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009