Moms with joint custody..

What is your visitation schedule for both you and your child/childrens father?

Sorry for a personal question. Just filed papers for custody and child support. My childs father wants to see our daughter more than every other weekend and I'm not sure what the right amount of visitation is.

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 5:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• I just went through this! He said he couldn't go 2wks without seeing her, so I agreed to let him have one overnight on the off week. Then we alternate holidays. He also gets 2 weeks in the summer to do something with her or take her on vacation. I try not to be too strict, because it is hard to always follow a schedule. Sometimes things come up and he wants her or I do. It's give and take.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my ex husband and I do it this way. He gets him friday at 3 (right after school) till sunday at 6pm. He also picks him up from school on thursdays and brings him back at 6pm. During the summer he gets him 5 weeks. We have a set way but we usually work together on things. I am lucky that him and I get along
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have joint custody and so does my fiance..
    My fiance has his kids 3 weekends per month...holidays alternate etc etc..
    If your X wants to spend more parenting time with your child...please do so...
    all kids need their daddy. Your child lives with you correct??
    My dd's father sees her 4 times a year (he lives 1200 miles away) I can only wish that my daughter had more time with her father.
    Try to work out and agreement that you are both comfortable with and can change as the times change.
    If you still can communicate with your X, wonderful...keep it that way for the love of the children..
    good luck to you..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 6:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• They have a standard for visitation which is usually one day a week and then every other weekend.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Let her see him as often as possible. It's going to be easier on her while dealing with the fact that they two of you split up. And there's no hard, fast rule about this. I know people with all kinds of different and crazy schedules. For instance, my SS sees his BM every other weekend, that's it. (Thank God) But my assistant shares custody with her ex, two weeks with him, two weeks he's at his dads.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I think as long as he is not taking her overnight, i dont' see why you dont' let him see his child as often as he wants. It is his child, it just because you both can't get along.

I think doing every weekend is fair, and he should even have the child for some of the holiday. You both have to agree on that, and just be fair. For instance, if you keep the child for thanksgiving, then he should be able to have the xmas etc... You both have to communicate on this issue.

Flexible and advance note are most important when arranging the visitations. Don't schedule how often he can see the child depends on how much he pays for the CS. Once again, it is all about the child, not you both.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I let my ex see my son whenever he wanted to. I never stood in their way. Now my husband's ex held his child from him whenever she could. That child resented her for it and ended up leaving her at 15 to move in with us.

Just something to keep in mind. Share the child and co-parent and try to keep things drama free. Kids can't erase memories.
    steponme

Answer by steponme at 11:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2009