How do you deal with a child with ADHD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• With alot of patience and a good sense of humor.I don't know if medicating is the answer or not.My step daughter has been told she has it, and she used it as an excuse for failing school.It wasn't adhd it was not caring enough to try.Either way, the child still has to function in life as an adult.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 7:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• With an emense amount of patience and a really good sense of humor. Really, you will need both. You have to have a schedule and stick to it. My son is almost 13 and does much better with a full schedule--that includes physical activity and downtime. Figure out how they learn best, what methods. My son needs background noise when doing his homework, if it is too quiet he can't concentrate. (same with me). If you are willing to use meds, that is an option that can make all the difference in the world. My son went from D's and F's to A's and B's after starting his meds. He paid atttention more. Keeping your child active helps. My son has trouble interacting with kids his age and his doc recommended team sports (helps with release of energy too).

If you ever want more info or have any questions, feel free to PM me and I can tell you what my experiences are, as a parent and daycare teacher.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The med's is what helped my son. He is an A honor roll student now that he takes focilin and he has been on the same medicine since age 6 he was disruptive he made bad grades and the teachers could not handle him at school until he got put on med's But now he is model child.
    srb0578

Answer by srb0578 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my step son is nine years old and has adhd and he controls the whole house and thats one of the number one rule is not to let there adhd control the house.... But he has his good days and bad and dont let them play video games longer then 30 mins a day I stress that to his dad but it doenst work outside activites is the best after school and to let make them eat befor giving meds if you do decide to use meds if not they dont eat a whole lot..... my 9 year old also uses not having his meds as a ticket on acting up thats not true they can control some of the things they do but all i really can say is read some books look it up online and find the best way for your child
    kandist

Answer by kandist at 3:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009