Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do with my carseat?

My son has outgrown his carseat and is ready to face forward. What should I do with the carseat? It's only 3 years old and has never been in an accident or recalled. Would it be okay to sell and use the money toward his new carseat? Or donate it?

Answer Question

Asked by Danni143 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 16 (3,017 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • sell it if you want. if he has outgrown his car seat he has probably outgrown lots of other stuff. have a small yard sale, whatever you can't sell donate or pass down to a friend.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 5:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I guess you could, just make the buyer aware of the exp. date.

    Keep in mind that just because he's too big for the infant seat, doesn't mean he's quite ready to face forward yet.

    Answer by Krysta622 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Resale shops take them if they are less than 5 years old. I second what Krysta said. If your son is less than 35lbs, make sure his next car seat is a convertible and keep him rear facing. The AAP recommends keeping children rear facing til at least age 2.

    Answer by jus1jess at 5:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • No stores around me will buy a used seat since the risk of buying (and then selling) a damaged seat is too high.
    If you want to sell it, try Craigslist.
    If you just want to keep it out of the landfill, try Freecycle.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • carseats are not supposed to be used by another kid. trift shops in ca arent aloud to take them to resale

    Answer by SpringMommy07 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • She didn't say it was an infant seat, she said car seat. If it's 3 years old, she may have used it for her son until he was do you know? You assume something not in evidence and make comments about your assumptions. She could have been writing about a convertible seat and he could very well be hitting 35lbs.

    Resale shops around here won't take them, it's against the law here. You can try craigslist or Ebay, I know some women buy used seats.

    I was ready to ditch ours when I found out I was pregnant with another! lol Are you sure you're done for the next two years? rofl (kidding)

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • I would donate it to a woman's shelter or something like that. I thought you only had to be 12 months old to face forward!!! Eeek!

    Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Anon 6:22 I assume her child is not 2 yrs old since this is posted in the 0-12 mos section. I figured her child is under a year.

    Answer by Krysta622 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009


    Bare minimum to FF is 12 mos and 20 lbs. AAP is now recommending (not law, but recommendation) that children RF until at least 2 years, preferably to the RF limit of the seat, which is usually 30-35 lbs. :)

    Answer by Krysta622 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.