Ethnically sensitive question... no offense intended ??

In this part of the country, there are definite differences in Hispanic and Hispanic/American people. Like true Hispanic people are the sweetest people, but I've found that they get a bad rap because of the projection the Hispanic/American people are putting off. In this area, H/A people are rude and aggressive (like literally H/A women will confront white women in stores if they think the woman is looking at them wrong). And it's not just the younger H/A women, it's older ones too.... It boggles and confuses me that H/A people are born here, they are Americans, and boast of their H heritage, but their true relatives (people visiting from Mexico and not born in America) are like a thousand times nicer. Please tell me that it's only the part of the country that I live in, I would hate to think that this attitude reaches beyond here? Sincerely, I don't mean to offend anyone who is Hispanic...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• Sorry, this old white woman can't tell the difference between a H/A and a H so I can't help on this one. I've not seen any ppl of Hispanic descent act rude or disrespectful in my community. It doesn't mean they don't. It just means I have not witnessed it and there are plenty in our area. They tend to keep to themselves and not bother anyone here that I can see. I don't think your question was racist. It was just a curiosity about an observation.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• you're in the south aren't you? i found that in MS when my husband and i lived there. but have never seen that anywhere else. i think it may be that the H/A people feel that everyone looks down on the Hispanics and just freak out. (just like anon who asked no offense meant by anything)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• The way this is posed...even though you said that I shouldn't take offense, I think it's quite offensive. And I'm white. For you to make this a racial issue is absurd. You can't just lump people into one category. There are 'gangsta wannabe crackers' that act the same as the Hispanic Americans you're referencing. It isn't an issue of race - it's an issue of common decency and manners. Some people are nice, others aren't. That's truly the only way to explain this!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 5:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I 've seen rude people all over, regardless of race. But it's probably that the Hispanics not from this country are too afraid to speak out against such behaviors in fear of being deported. If you were in a foreign land, maybe illegally there?? How would you act? You wouldn't be yelling up and down the streets thats for sure. Unless maybe you were drunk off some of their tequila. lol Not bashing, just my opinion. I mean I went off on a guy this Sunday at Wrestlemania because he cutted in line in front of my kid (no I'm not into Wrestling). Thats the mama in me though. I think it has to do with someones maturity level, not race. Some people are just looking for a fight. I wasn't, I was just protecting my kid.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Well, good lord, try as one might, if you happen to be white you can't ask a question about any other ethnicity without being accused of being racist??
    Anonymous

• sorry but i can't tell you that cause i totally agree with you. every A/H i have met has been that way. i often go to mexico and they are sooooo different then they are here. the people here are so rude and seem to always be looking for a fight. they spend money like crazy and are selfish. down in mexico they are humble hard workers simple and super nice. they will give your the shirt off their back not take it off yours. they are really family oriented. there are very few nice mexicans that live here that are like the mexicans from mexico. i would feel safer living there with all their mexican then in my hood with all A/H.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yup, that happens here too. I'm in Tucson, AZ.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I don't live in an area with a whole lot of HA's. but I did teach English (ESOL) to a group of South American immigrants and I found for the most part they were absolutely sweet, willing to learn and happy to be here. There were two women- One from Peru, one from Mexico, who are here just because their husband's got jobs here. These women were sometimes rude.. The one from Peru tried to steal the electronic translator of another student and was very rude when we told her it was time for her to progress test... The Mexican asked me if i was pregnant (nope, just fat thanks for asking- at the time) And another day started a rant about "why is America so great? I hate it here, I don't want to be here etcetc" So- I do not think it is just race, I think it is personality
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• should say mostly South American immigrants- not all were from SA but most were...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2009