Red Frosting? Help!

I'm making a 3d cake and the frosting will be red.I'm not going to use that already made frosting.I wanted to do a whip cream/sour cream frosting but doubt it will work since I want it to be red. What can I use? How much of the food coloring will I need for it to be red? Any recipes? Any ideas? TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Trial and error. I'd use the powdered red food coloring if thats available. If not use the red liquid or the gel. Just put in a few drops and mix until you figure out how to make the color more red. It's gonna be difficult because you are using whippy frosting so it might take you a while to build up from pink.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• use paste food coloring not the liquid. You can get it at Michaels in the cake decorating section
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Try the paste not food coloring.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I bought the Wiltons brand gel coloring. It seemed to work well, but you'll still need to use a lot. Someone on here recently recommended another brand over the Wiltons, but I can't remember what they suggested. Still, Wiltons did a great job!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• You definately don't want to use a liquid food coloring. The pastes are the way to go for intense color.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I's start with a drop or two of food cooring and add more until you get the desired effect.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• paste, i always make my own frosting and useually make whippy ones.
    I use the paste over the liquid , the liquid WILL throw off the moisture level.
    Paste will not and it is more concentrated getting better results.
    GOOD LUCK!
    dita

Answer by dita at 7:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009