Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi there. I just received a call that the nuchal (sp?) came back positive for DS. I have a 1/60 chance and am having a CVS test done on Monday. I need some help here! Thanks

CVS testing.

 
ashley0828

Asked by ashley0828 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I've not had a CVS, but I had an amnio with my last one. I had 1:5 odds. I'd take 1:60 any day over that! Anyway..it was all fine. Remember the nuchal is a screening, not a "test".

    A false positive on a CVS?? I thought it dealt with genetics! There shouldn't be any false positive for it. But...I had an amnio as I said.

    Keep in mind you have a 1.6% chance that the baby has Down Syndrome. You have a 98.4% chance that everything is okay!
    TiccledBlue

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • *I* personally think those estimates are misleading, and they increase every time you take the test. It's weird and aggravating. I actually refuse all genetic testing during pregnancy. I do know of moms who were told they had ridiculously high chances (1 in 250, etc) but their babies were born 100 percent normal :)

    I also wouldn't do the CVS screening, it increases your risk of miscarriage. Would you abort the baby if it did have DS? Otherwise, the info is useless. (this is my personal opinion)
    celticreverie

    Answer by celticreverie at 6:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Oh my tests came back the same way. It scared the hell out of me. They did all these extensive ultrasounds and genetic counseling and offered an amniocentesis but I declined. They labled me as high risk pregnancy and made me have an ultrasound and stress test twice a week for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. And after all that I gave birth to a perfectly healthy little boy. It was a false positive and caused a hell of a lot of unecessary stress!! Try not to worry too much about it. My doctor even told me that false postives are not at all uncommon. Grrr.
    jessicarae787

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Unless it will change the outcome of something I personally beleive the test is unnecesary. Will you abort the pregnancy if it does have DS? (not judging just curious) I know some people do but if you are still gonna have the baby then I would Tell them that we will see when the baby is born. If you are thinking of aborting if it is positive then go ahead and have it done but the amnio tests risk the baby
    heather.darin

    Answer by heather.darin at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • If they do the test to early-it will come back positive for DS. They had to do the test twice when I was pregnant with my daughter 7-7 1/2yrs ago, because the Doctor gave me the test 2-3wks early. So they did it a second time, and it came back normal. But, I had to go talk to another doctor going through the What Ifs.... What would I do... I said well no matter what she/he will still be my child So I am going to take care of it . What else.
    kathynej7142007

    Answer by kathynej7142007 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

  • Just talked to my OB, she said that she feels like I should go ahead with the CVS that my risks were higher than that of a 45 year old. I am 31 and my husband is 32. I wont abort, but need answers asap. she said that the false positive on a CVS is less than 1%. Scared to death here!
    ashley0828

    Answer by ashley0828 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN