How much milk does your toddler drinks per day?

My son just turned one and I switched him to whole milk. It seems like he drinks a lot more than formula. Also, what is the best way to travel with enough milk without having it out for too long? I used ice, but it is not always practical to carry ice in a zip lock bag. How long is too long to keep milk out in the bottle?

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 6:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hey my son has about 18ounces of whole milk aday.. and I think when you are traveling I would just stop at a store on the way and get some milk cause i would be scared it was out for to long.. Hope this helped God bless

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• well formula is more filling than milk. reason being is because with the first year of your babies life the most it eats is formula. after the age of one your baby should be eating a lot of baby food and solid food. so you should be replacing milk with more food. is your baby on a schedule. i had my two children when they were a year old on this schedule. 8 in morning cereal, eggs, biscuits, bananas, something around those areas. then they got milk in a cup i cut out bottles all together. they napped at 11 and woke up at 1. they got up ate lunch which is baby veggies, fruit or a meat. they play they nap and then a snack of fruit or some gerber puffs or something. dinner they ate pretty much what i ate or some baby food. meat, veggie and fruit. so in answer to your question... about 10-14 oz and then 10 oz of juice/water. but if they want something else to drink don't deny them there really isn't a limit
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• in answer to your milk solution.. buy an ice pack it's like $1 or less and put it in a lunchbox with the milk. just make however many bottles you may need and extra just incase of an emergency. you can also go as far as buying a cooler that plugs into your cigarette lighter thing. my husband bought one because he became a truck driver and needed one. now i got one to keep my car for juice and milk. i love it. i got mine at walmart in the camping section. it was $79 but you will use it forever.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• They get a cup of milk with each meal so no more than 24oz per day (also per the pediatrician)

If we're out running around I take water or water/juice. I don't travel with milk.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thank you ladies that is very helpful. He was taking at least 4-5 bottles of milk per day. But he is not a big eater -- we are working on that. Hopefully, he will start table foods real soon.
    ZuMama

Answer by ZuMama at 6:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My pediatrician suggested limiting whole milk to 16 oz. per day, so that's the guideline I go by.

Sorry, don't know the answers to your other questions. I don't bring milk when I travel either.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 7:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2009