Does anyone else have a problem shutting their mind off at bedtime?

I've always needed to either watch TV or read while I'm falling asleep because if i don't I can't stop thinking. It's like my mind won't shut up and I need something to distract it. Even if I try breathing techniques eventually my mind wanders. Does anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i do. dont watch tv or play on the computer for half an hour before bedtime, these are too stimulating. reading a book is good. try drinking chamomile tea. make your bed a sleep/read/sex-only place, so your body/mind associates being in bed with relaxing and sleeping
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 6:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i know what you mean. I had to end up taking seroquel for sleeping. It helps me fall asleep. Before i took it my mind wouldn't turn off. I kept going through things that really didn't make to much sense. Try sleep aids like sleepytime tea. If that doesn't work then talk to a doc about getting sleep meds.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Oh yes....over here too...
    I have to tell myself to shut up and most of the time it does not work..
    Silly but I get pissed at myself as I watch the time on the clock go by..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• set up a bedtime routine, like you would with a baby, to help your body relax and know that bedtime is coming
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I understand; I have the same problem. I am hoping it will improve after I retire. But, in the meantime, I try music. I have a CD of classical music I like; I just hit the play button and soon I am snoozing away. You could try anything that could mind off whatever is keeping it active. But it probably should be something soothing, not necessarily classical; that just happens to be what I like.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• What I do when it is time for me to settle down for sleep is take my nightly meds, which include pain meds that put me to sleep after about an hour. I lie down in bed and read a book until the words blur beyond comprehension. That's when I dogear the page and shut out the light.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah! This has been a problem my entire life. I wish I could sleep like my DH does.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• i fall asleep with the tv on too, sometimes that doesnt work though, thats why im still on cafemom late at night!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yep, I have this problem too. White noise helps me. www.simplynoise.com
    Breedermama

Answer by Breedermama at 1:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I did untill I got LUNESTA works great! =]
    nikilinn

Answer by nikilinn at 11:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2009